Access Our Services
To receive assistance from Project Citizenship, call 617-694-5949!
- Screening: Clients call the office and are briefly screened for eligibility, and are given instructions for the next steps based on their individual circumstances.
- Workshop: Clients attend one of our frequent workshops where a trained volunteer fills out the necessary forms. Forms are then reviewed by an attorney or Department of Justice accredited representative. Project Citizenship will mail the application and provide clients with study materials for the civics test, as well as referrals to English or citizenship classes.
- Follow-up: Project Citizenship follows up to obtain missing information from clients, and tracks the application until the client successfully obtains U.S. citizenship.
- Next steps:
- Biometrics appointment for fingerprints and photo
- Interview, which includes the English and civics test
- Oath ceremony, when the applicant officially becomes a U.S. citizen!
Over the past few years, processing times have become longer. While timelines vary widely across the country, on average, it takes about 8-12 months from start to finish in our area. Because this process can take up to a year, we encourage permanent residents to apply for citizenship as soon as they are eligible.