Requirements may vary depending on your situation. Generally, at the time of filing the N-400, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a permanent residence card (“green card”) for at least 5 years (3 years if married to a U.S. citizen)
- Have had physical presence in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years (18 months if married to a U.S. citizen). Applicants must have lived in the state or USCIS district in which they are applying for at least 3 months.
- Have good moral character
- Be willing to take an oath to the United States and its Constitution
At the time of the interview applicants must also:
- Be able to read, write, and speak basic English. (English classes are available in many locations throughout Boston if necessary)
- Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government. (Civics classes are available in many locations throughout Boston if necessary)
Not sure that you are eligible?
Call us at (617) 694-5949 to speak to one of our staff members, who will help you determine if you are eligible to become a U.S. citizen!
Start the process today by calling our office at 617-694-5949!