I have had my green card for almost 5 years. Can I apply early?

Yes. You are allowed to apply for naturalization up to 90 days before the 5 year anniversary of the date you became a legal permanent resident. You can find out when the earliest date you can apply is by using the USCIS Calculator

I have had my green card for 3 years but I have been married to my U.S. citizen spouse for less than 3 years. Can I apply?

No. To apply for naturalization based on marriage, you must have been married to your U.S. citizen spouse for a full 3 years and have had your green card for 3 years. You should not file 90 days early if you have not been married for 3 full years.


I have had my green card for over 5 years but I am not 18. Can I apply?

Unfortunately no. To apply for citizenship, you must be at least 18 years old. If you have had your green card for more than 5 years by the time you turn 18, you can send your application in on your 18th birthday, but no sooner. However, if one of your parents becomes a U.S. citizen before you turn 18, you may automatically become a citizen at the same time.


How long does the application process take?

From the time the application is submitted to USCIS, the process takes on average 7 months until you are sworn in at your Oath Ceremony. This varies between USCIS offices, so depending on where you live and where you will attend your naturalization interview, it make take longer or shorter. You can check case processing times on the USCIS website.


Can I travel while my application is pending?

Yes. However, it is very important that you make sure you do not miss any scheduled appointments. Although it is possible to reschedule a biometrics appointment or naturalization interview, you should try to make the original appointment. If you are planning on taking a trip, have someone check your mail so they can respond to any communications from USCIS regarding your naturalization case.


←Return to FAQ List