Home 9 Become a Citizen 9 FAQ 9 Expired Green Cards

Expired Green Cards


What happens when my green card expires?

Your status as a legal permanent resident does not change if your green card expires. Although an expired green card does not mean that you lose your LPR status, you may encounter some problems:

· If you travel, you will have difficulty reentering the United States.

· You may have trouble with your job or applying for a job. A valid green card is necessary to show that you are allowed to work in the U.S.

· You may also have trouble getting any benefits you are registered for or want to register for.

My green card is expired. Can I still apply for citizenship?

Yes. You can still apply for citizenship with an expired green card. If you meet the eligibility requirements for becoming a U.S. citizen, an expired green card will not prevent you from applying.

My green card is going to expire soon. Can I still apply for citizenship?

Yes. Individuals who properly apply for naturalization on or after 12/12/2022 receive a Form N-400 receipt notice that, when presented with the expired Permanent Resident Card, automatically extends the validity of the Permanent Resident Card for 24 months from the “Card Expires” date listed on the card.

If your citizenship application is not decided before the automatic 24-month extension, you may request that USCIS provide you an Alien Documentation, Identification and Telecommunication (ADIT) stamp in your passport to demonstrate your lawful permanent resident status by contacting the USCIS Contact Center.

How can I renew my green card?

You may renew your green card by filling out Form I-90. The fee to renew a green card is $455 and there may be a $85 biometrics fee for a total cost is $540. You may be eligible for a fee waiver if you receive public benefits, if your household income is below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or if you have some other financial hardship.

Can I travel with my expired green card?

You may travel with an expired green card if you also have (and travel with) the above Form N-400 receipt notice with an automatic extension of your Permanent Resident Card and it remains within 24 months from the “Card Expires” date listed.

I lost my green card. Can I still apply for citizenship?

Yes. If your green card has been lost or stolen, you can still submit an application for citizenship. You should include an explanation of why you do not have your green card and include a photocopy of the card, if possible. To complete the application, you will need your A-number, which is on your green card. You will also need a government-issued photo identification to attend your naturalization interview.

←Return to FAQ List

Skip to content