Home 9 Become a Citizen 9 FAQ 9 Gender Marker Change

Gender Marker Change


Can I change my gender marker during the N-400 naturalization process?

Yes. You can request that your gender marker be changed by presenting one of the following forms of evidence:

  • A court order granting change of sex or gender
  • A government-issued document reflecting the requested gender designation, such as:
    • Amended birth certificate
    • Passport
    • Driver’s license
    • Other official document showing identity issued by U.S. government, state or local government, a foreign government
  • A letter from a licensed health care professional certifying that the requested gender designation is consistent with your gender identity. A licensed health care professional includes licensed counselors, nurse practitioners, physicians, physician assistants, psychologists, social workers, and therapists. This letter must include the following information:
    • Health care professional’s full name, address, and telephone number;
    • Health care professional’s license number and the issuing state, country, or other jurisdiction of the professional license;
    • Language stating that the health care professional has treated or evaluated the individual in relation to the individual’s gender identity; and
    • Health care professional’s assessment of the individual’s gender identity.

←Return to FAQ List

Skip to content