Home 9 Become a Citizen 9 FAQ 9 Military Service

Military Service


Who can qualify for naturalization based on military service?

There are two different ways to qualify for naturalization based on military service: during peacetime or during designated periods of hostilities.

Service in Peacetime

This applies to all members of the U.S. armed forces and those discharged. Individuals will qualify if:

· Served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for at least one year;

· Obtained lawful permanent resident (LPR) status; and

· Filed an application for naturalization while still in the military or within 6 months of discharge from the military.

Service during Hostilities

This applies to all noncitizens who have served honorably in the U.S. armed forces during designated wars and conflicts. Currently, any person who has served honorably in the U.S. armed forces since September 11, 2001 is authorized to immediately apply for citizenship. Other designated periods of hostilities are:

· World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)

· World War II (September 1, 1939 – December 31, 1946)

· Korea (June 25, 1950 – July 1, 1955)

· Vietnam (February 28, 1961 – October 15, 1978)

· Persian Gulf (August 2, 1990 – April 11, 1991)

What kinds of military service qualify for naturalization through military service?

Generally, qualifying service includes service in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and National Guard.

I am currently a member of the U.S. military. Is the naturalization process different?

Yes. If you are currently in the U.S. military, you must submit the N-400 as well as the Form N-426. This is a certification of your military service. Current members of the military must have the N-426 certified by the military before submitting your naturalization application.

I am a veteran of the U.S. military. Is the naturalization process different?

Yes. Like current members of the U.S. military, veterans should submit Form N-426 with his/her N-400 application. For veterans, Form N-426 should not be certified, instead, you must also submit a copy of your discharge documents, DD Form 214 or NGB Form 22.

My spouse is a member of the U.S. military; we are stationed abroad. Is the process different?

Yes. A spouse of a current member of the military is not required to meet the physical presence and residence requirements in the U.S. to apply for naturalization. However, you must meet all of the other requirements for naturalization.

Am I required to pay the application fee if I am a current or former member of the military?

No. Members of the military are exempt from the naturalization application fees.

Where do I send my application?

All military naturalization applications should be sent to the Nebraska Service Center, regardless of where you live.

USCIS Nebraska Service Center

P.O. Box 87426

Lincoln, NE 68501-7426

I have more questions about my military service and applying for citizenship. Who can I contact?

Military members and their families can call the Military Help Line at 1-877-247-4645 with questions about the process. You may also contact USCIS by sending an email to the military customer service specialists at militaryinfo@uscis.dhs.gov


←Return to FAQ List

Skip to content