Questions Related to Marriage

An permanent resident applying for citizenship based on marriage MUST:

  • be married to a US citizen for at least 3 years (applicant can apply 90 days prior to the three year anniversary of obtaining his/her green card, but must have been married for a full 3 years);
  • have been living with the US citizen for at least 3 years (and still living with); and
  • the US citizen must have had his or her citizenship for at least 3 years.

VAWA Exception:

Green card holders who were approved for lawful U.S. residency based upon a Form I-360 VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) self-petition may be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship after three years instead of the usual five.