Oath Ceremony Accommodations

Expedited Oath Ceremony


An applicant, who has sufficient cause, may request that USCIS grant an expedited oath ceremony.  In determining whether to grant a request for an expedited oath ceremony, the USCIS District Director may consider special circumstances which are of compelling or humanitarian concern.  Examples of special circumstances include:


  1. A serious illness of the applicant or a member of the applicant’s family;
  2. A permanent disability of the applicant which prevents the applicant’s personal appearance at a scheduled ceremony;
  3. The developmental disability or advanced age of the applicant which would make appearance at a scheduled ceremony improper; and
  4. An urgent or compelling circumstance relating to travel or employment which USCIS determines to warrant special consideration.


In considering a request, USCIS may seek verification of the information provided in the request.


If an applicant would like to request an expedited oath ceremony, it is important to alert the USCIS officer during the naturalization interview.


Homebound Oath Ceremony


If an applicant needs an accommodation due to a disability that affects his or her access or ability to attend an oath ceremony, he or she should call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283.  Applicants may call the NCSC to request an accommodation or homebound oath ceremony even if he or she did not indicate a need for accommodation or homebound oath ceremony on the N-400 application.


Failure to Appear for Oath Ceremony / Rescheduling Oath Ceremony


An applicant must appear in person at an oath ceremony unless USCIS excuses the appearance.  USCIS presumes that an applicant has abandoned his or her naturalization application when the applicant fails to appear for more than one oath ceremony.  In such cases, USCIS issues a motion to reopen which the applicant must respond to within 15 days.


If an applicant is unable attend his or her oath ceremony, he or she should mail the oath ceremony notice back to the local USCIS office along with a letter requesting a new date and explaining why he or she cannot attend the scheduled naturalization ceremony.


Skip to content