Scams & Immigration Fraud
How do I avoid immigration scams or fraud?
1) You should never have to pay for any immigration forms. They are available for free from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
2) Don’t sign a contract or agreement you don’t understand. You should always ask to have these documents translated into your native language.
3) Never sign a blank form. Make sure that you read and understand all the information on any form that you sign.
4) Get copies of every document that you sign, and keep all of your original personal documents (for example, your passport, diploma, or birth certificate).
5) Insist on a receipt for every payment you make, including cash payments.
6) Ask for copies of all documents filed with the immigration court or USCIS on your behalf. You are entitled to copies of these documents.