Home 9 Become a Citizen 9 FAQ 9 Petitioning for Family Members

Petitioning for Family Members


I am a permanent resident; can I petition for a green card for my parent or sibling?

No. Only U.S. citizens age 21 or older can petition for a parent or sibling.

Can I petition for my parent or sibling once I become a U.S. Citizen?

Yes, if you are at least 21 years old.

Do I automatically become a U.S. Citizen if I marry a U.S. Citizen?

No. Your U.S. citizen spouse may be able to file a petition for you, but neither your marriage nor the approval of that petition automatically makes you a green card holder or a U.S. citizen. For more information, click here.

I would like to petition for a family member or apply for a green card. Can Project Citizenship help me do this?

No. We only provide assistance in completing applications for naturalization (Form N-400) and certificates of citizenship (Form N-600).

←Return to FAQ List

Skip to content